Who we are as a business is a reflection of our customers.
In 1983, Factory Optical was established in Regina, Saskatchewan as a wholesale manufacturer of prescription lenses for independent Opticians and Optometrists.
Our focus is serving customers.
As the 80’s came to an end, our focus turned to retail with the establishment of our first Factory Optical store at 926 Victoria Avenue in Regina, SK.
From 1999 to present, our company has grown 6,000% from one location to 23 locations across western Canada, with more to come. Factory Optical, and Optiks International, our Alberta and British Columbia retail brand, have received numerous provincial and national accolades. A few of these include:
- In 2016, both Optiks International and Factory Optical were awarded a Best of Groupon certificate based on number of sales.
- 2016 marked the sixth year Factory Optical held the title for Best Eyewear based on nearly 200,000 voters in Regina with Prairie Dog magazine.
- 2013 saw Factory Optical in Prince Albert, SK. be nominated and chosen for the Best of PA Award. The winners are based on nominations received from the community and the total number of votes received for each business.
- In 2012, Optiks International was awarded the Customer Service Excellence Award from the Medicine Hat Chamber of Commerce.
- In 2009, the President of Factory Optical and Optiks International was chosen to participate in the Quantum Shift (TM) program with the Richard Ivey School of Business in London, Ontario. This rigorous program challenges entrepreneurs to review their current business practices and approach business challenges with a new perspective.
Our growth in revenues, distribution, staffing and profitability has not occurred by accident. At Factory Optical and Optiks International we do a number of things very well:
- As one of the largest optical retail chains in Canada, we are afforded wholesale discounts of a magnitude that are very rare;
- As one of very few Canadian retailers with in-house digital lens surfacing capability, not only is quality control better managed, but so are our costs.
- When saying we do things differently everyday, we really do. We recognize that every customer is unique and their needs are different, thus on a daily basis we work to serve each customer based on their unique needs.
The result, a company-wide cost structure that allows us to dispense two designer products at a price at or below the identical one-pair cost of others, under what we consider to be the most expansive everyday 2 for 1 offer in western Canada. While appearing to be a very simple merchandising model, it has proven to be one that is exceptionally difficult for others to replicate in practice.
Our strength is our everyday 2 for 1 offer.
We will dispense single pairs and do lenses only, at discounted prices to reflect our superior efficiencies, but our real strength is in our everyday 2 for 1 prescription (Rx) glasses (frames and lenses, including Shamir Progressive lenses and digital lenses), Rx sunglasses, CSA safety glasses, reading glasses… you name it. They’re free as a second pair.
Not only will we give you about 600 to 5,000 designer frames in every store from which to select your free pair, at Factory Optical and Optiks International, you can even share it with friends or family. The prescription on the second pair need not be the same as the first pair.
If that’s not enough, we’ve ramped everything up with the roll-out of our “super-opticals” in Victoria, Vancouver, Abbotsford, Edmonton, Calgary and Regina, each the equivalent of six to eight boutiques under one roof!
We really are doing things differently, everyday.
You want variety – we give you a minimum of 1,000 different designer frames in every store (upwards of 5,000 in our “super-optical’ locations).
You want quality – we give you the top luxury frame brands in the world and Shamir digital lenses.
You want quicker turn-around – we have our own in-house digital lens manufacturing capability and we outfit all of our stores with finishing labs.
You want one-stop shopping – most of our stores have full time Optometric practices housed right in the middle of the store.
You want after sale service – we’re on-board for the entire life of your purchase and we don’t charge for repairs or nose pads – the little things that drive you crazy.
You want employee continuity – we would stack our employee retention record up against anyone in our industry.
You want simplicity – everything is clearly priced and all coatings and lens treatments are bundled into relevant and simple packages.
We listen, because it makes us better at what we do. Contact us with your thoughts and suggestions.
We care about our Community.
Growing from a small store on Victoria Avenue Regina to 23 stores across Western Canada we still believe it's important to help the community in which you live. Factory Optical, Optiks International and Eye Candy Optiks are committed to helping local causes and charities through sponsorships and donations.
Most recently we sponsored a local event organized by Olympic Snowboard Medalist Mark McMorris and his brother Craig McMorris to support JumpStart, Canadian Tire's major charity that provides funding to help kids participate in sport, dance or other organized physical activities. The event has raised a total of $120,000 that will help local children have a fulfilling childhood experience of participating in organized sports and activities.